Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lucy

         The novel "Lucy" which written by Jamaica Kincaid made me feel thoughtful about my own experience. When Lucy just came to the America, all she felt is the sadness and loneliness. It's becuase everything looked different as she thought. Many places were ordinary, dirty, and worn. Lucy didn't have any excitement about the place where she lived since everything was opposite from her imagination already. Furthermore, she was suffering in homesickness that she wanted to go back to where she came badly, but she knew she couldn't do it. At that time, she believed that she had no future if she was coutinuing stay in this country. Lucy lived in a maid room, and she worked for the family. She couldn't complain about the bad condition of her living enviornment since she was definient in money, and this was the main reason why she came to the United States. Sometimes, she had to write a letter for describing her situcation to her family.
Although she felt sad, lonely, and depress, Lucy never wrote anything bad to reflect her real minds.
           In fact, my own experience is totally same as Lucy's. I felt so surprised when I just stepped out of the JFK airport. All the buildings I saw around that area was worn. At the begining, I couldn't adapt into my school life, and I refused to make friends with others. Compare to the others, I am sure many new immigrants have the same problems, and they need to take times to cover it. After 2 years, I started to fall in love with New York City. I feel happy that I can live here. I understand that the education is so important to all of us, this is the only way we can become success which can bring us a better life in this wonderful city. In my hometown, Hong Kong, many students can't even get into the college because we just have few schools are available for students. That is why we can see many people in my hometown are doing menial labor jobs. If you want to rethink about my future, I will choose to stay in NYC at least I can have a "white" or "whiter" future.

4 comments:

  1. a nice post i must say im surprised you added something of your journey her i like it and i do agree she never did say anything negative at least not a direct statement to anything of the sort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - I get the feeling the passage is more about the strangeness of the U.S. for Lucy than something "good" or "bad."

    Ka, why do you think Lucy feels she has to lie? What do you make of this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and also, I'm wondering what you mean by 'white' in that last sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting and i enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete